Options

Sunday, February 3, 2013

A little more progress, and 3 weeks till closing

We went to see the house yesterday, and we had a few little surprises waiting for us!  Granite was installed, more trimwork done, slate around the fireplace, electrical and HVAC work, water heater installed, garage sink installed, dishwasher in, oven delivered, kitchen sink in, toilets in, bathroom faucets installed.

Granite was a big one for me - I was really worried about the slab we were going to get because there is  SO much variation in the St. Cecelia granite.  Luckily, we got a slab that was very creamy and not at all gold or dark.  I really like it.  It looks great with the Butterscotch Glaze cabinets.

Hopefully this is also the last time we will have to visit the house without heat.  It was really cold on Saturday and we could only stay a few minutes with the kids.  Apparently they can't do the hardwood floors without heat so they should have it turned on early this week.

There was something that was disappointing to me, and I'm struggling with whether or not to mention it.  We got upgraded cabinets in the bathrooms which have brushed nickel hardware.  We assumed (silly us) that the plumbing fixtures would match.  But they installed the shiny chrome faucets instead.  It looks really weird, having 2 different metals going on in the bathroom.  I seem to remember my SR telling us that it would all match - after all, I think if it was not going to match, she would have up-sold us on the fixtures...
Anyway, I don't like it.  I know it can be fixed by us eventually, but still.  Should I raise it as an issue even though we don't have any paperwork on it?  Or let it go?

Here are some pics -I did some of the bonus room for those who requested them!

The kitchen with the dishwasher, granite installed.  The cabinets on the island need a lot of attention :(


The downstairs half bath.  They have installed the hardwood already.

A view of the stairs, standing in the dining room


Sink in the kitchen and a peek at the granite

This pic is upstairs, looking down the hall towards the master bedroom (straight) and the bonus room (right)

 MB on the left, BR on the right.  BR has a double door entryway

Here's a panoramic of the Bonus room, standing right at the window at the front of the house.




13 comments:

  1. I hear you about the satin nickel cabinet hardware/light fixtures and then chrome for everything else. We also thought everything would match, but apparently that's not the case. We initially thought we'd just pay to replace everything ourselves, but it would be a huge pain to replace the shower fixtures and it's more money than we wanted to spend when there are so many other things we want/need to buy for the house. Luckily the chrome has kind of grown on me since we've moved in... or at least I don't notice the difference so much anymore.

    Our SR told us that our upgraded kitchen faucet (a required upgrade with the gourmet kitchen option) was called chrome, but that it looked like satin nickel and that was definitely not true. Again though, after moving in it doesn't bother me as much as it did when I first saw it. We may eventually swap it out, but for now it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can work with it. It was just the initial shock of things not matching :) I'm sure it will grow on me too.

      Delete
  2. I'm just wondering if they plan on installing rails on your front door steps into the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PM tells me that they will. Hopefully it will happen!

      Delete
  3. To get the plumbing fixtures in another finish is an UPGRADE. I was told that when you upgrade the fixtures they also upgrade the shower door color. Therefore, I know for my house the upgrade was $2K. My thought process was that I can change out the fixtures that I need to for less than $2K.

    So, in a nutshell, they won't match unless you paid for an upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point pinkrage! That is quite a chunk of change to upgrade. I think I will just have to live with it - it's not so bad.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the bonus room pictures! I am happy to see the additional attic access in the bonus room as well as how much more it opens up that hallway. It has also given me a couple of more questions to ask my SR and PM when we have our pre-construction walk through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! In our development, the PM puts the attic access in one of the bedrooms. That wouldn't work for us, so we talked him into putting it in the BR. He wouldn't put it in the hallway - we asked.

      Delete
    2. I could see it being really limited in the hallway, but I like it better in the bonus room as well. Have you been up in the attic to see how easy it is to get from the area above the bonus room/bedroom to the rest of the house, or is it all one level area?

      Delete
    3. We have a Palermo - no bonus room... BUT... our PM moved the access panel that goes to the space above the garage (where we don't have a bonus room) to the garage (instead of in the hallway outside of the master, which I hated the look of that!) and the other one into the laundry room ceiling.

      Delete
  5. Brian -- the attic is one long area with the air handler in the center. It's about eight feet wide and runs about 32 feet long.

    I had to make them move the ductwork to make the entire length accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Basically, the HVAC stuff that they put right smack in the middle of the attic space takes up a lot of room. It is passable now, but it is still kind of an obstacle if you want to put stuff on the other side of it (you have to bend down under a pipe to get to it). I wish it could be more out of the way, but no moving it now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it had been a few years since this post. Are you happy you got the bonus room?

    ReplyDelete